A C-Corporation is one of the most structured methods for creating a business, and, consequently, you want to do everything right when applying for your initial documents. Getting a Tax ID (EIN) Number is one of the first steps that you should take, as you’ll find it very difficult to run your business without one.
Steps to Applying for a C-Corporation Tax ID (EIN) Number
- Prepare Business Owner Information
- Apply for a C-Corporation Tax ID (EIN) Number Online
- Apply for a C-Corporation Tax ID (EIN) Number by Phone, Mail or Fax
- How Do I Get a Corporation Tax ID Number?
- How Do I Get a Tax ID Number for a Small Business?
- What Is the Difference Between a Corporate ID Number and a Corporation Tax ID Number?
Start the process of applying for a C-Corporation Tax ID (EIN) Number by selecting a representative to apply. This individual will need to provide the following information:
- Their name.
- Their mailing address.
- Their date of birth.
- Their social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.
With this information, an individual will be able to apply for a C-Corporation Tax ID (EIN) Number on the corporation’s behalf.
If you want to get your EIN Number quickly, the best way to do it is to send an application in online. There are a number of benefits to applying online:
- You’ll get your Tax ID (EIN) Number within an hour. Often, you may need a Tax ID Number quickly in order to complete a task, such as hiring an employee. You may not be able to wait the weeks that it would take to get an EIN Number offline.
- You’ll know immediately if your form is incorrect. If your Tax ID Number request needs more information, you’ll be able to correct it immediately and get your Tax ID Number faster. If you’re mailing or faxing your application in, it could be days or weeks until you know.
- You can use a tax ID service. A tax ID service handles the entire process for you online, thereby making it easier for you to get your Tax ID (EIN) Number without having to manage the process yourself.
There are other ways to get your C-Corporation Tax ID: phone, email or fax. However, they usually aren’t as easy to use as the online application service.
While it’s possible to apply for a C-Corporation Tax ID by the phone, mail or fax, doing so will mean that there will be a substantial delay between your application and acquiring your EIN.
Fax machines can be inconsistent and will not always let you know whether the fax has gone through. Depending on the processing time, a faxed request could take up to four days to be answered. A mailed-in request could take up to six weeks, depending on the current workload.
In general, attempting to apply for a C-Corporation Tax ID through the phone will mean that you still need to submit some forms and documents through the application process.
Either way, you’ll only know whether your application was correct when you get your Tax ID Number. If your information was not correct, you’ll have to begin the application process again, waiting an equal amount of time.
Getting a Corporation Tax ID Number online is a simple process.
- Collect the business owner’s information as well as information about the business itself. This includes identifying information such as the business owner’s SSN or their ITIN.
- Submit this information to a tax ID service. The tax ID service will then review the information. This is a valuable service, as it prevents you from having to submit your application multiple times.
- Wait for your Tax ID Number to be returned. It should take under an hour to receive a tax ID. Once you receive your tax ID, you can begin using it on forms.
Getting a Tax ID Number through other methods besides online may be lengthier and more complicated. However, the basic process will remain the same: You can submit all of your information to an ID application service and get an ID back that you can use to identify your business.
Whether an LLC, S-Corporation or C-Corporation, it’s a simple and easy process to get a Tax ID Number online. A third-party tax ID service will collect your information through an online application, after which you’ll receive a Tax ID Number within an hour. Once the Tax ID Number has been received, you can immediately begin using it to pay taxes, hire employees, and open banking accounts.
Before you attempt to get your Tax ID Number, collect information about the business and about the business owner. You may be asked a few questions regarding the nature of your business before you get your tax ID.
A Corporate ID Number and a Corporate Tax ID Number are both references to the same identifying number. A Corporate ID Number may also be referred to as an Employer Identification Number, a Federal Taxpayer Identification Number or a Tax ID Number. This number is often referred to by different titles when it is used differently. It may be referred to as an Employer Identification Number (EIN) when paying employees or a Corporate Tax ID Number when paying taxes. However, regardless, it’s the exact same number that is being referenced.
A Corporate Tax ID Number will be used throughout many business processes. A CTID is used to open bank accounts, get bank loans, acquire business credit cards and pay federal taxes. Without a corporate ID, a company cannot do any of these things. Luckily, acquiring a corporate Tax ID Number is a simple process that can be completed entirely online within an hour.